Silk Road Film Festival (SRFF) is held annually during the month of March.
About the Festival :
Let us take you on a journey. A journey along the roads that once connected the distant lands of East, South and Western Asia with the Mediterranean and European world. A journey that once ensured not only trade but cultural exchange and international understanding.
Today, more than two thousand years after it originated, we invite you to travel along the Silk Road with us. We aspire to continue the Silk Road cultural heritage, which in its heyday sustained a multicultural collaboration that strung together diverse groups. Just like the silk moth weaves webs into luxurious fabrics, so do the silk routes entwine ideas and philosophies, fostering multicultural interaction.
The Silk Road Film Festival (SRFF) welcomes films from countries, which were once part of this historical network of ancient trade routes and focuses in particular on Asian, Arab, Persian, Middle Eastern, African and European cinema.
Apart from film screenings, the SRFF will feature premieres, exhibitions, panels, chats with industry guests, free courses and workshops. The Festival events, like the postal stops along the ancient routes, will ensure smooth and speedy passage through those countries and guarantee a multifaceted and comprehensive journey through the cinema, art and culture of the region.
The 2015 edition of SRFF will present The Silk Road Film Festival Awards in the following categories
A – SILK ROAD COMPETITION: countries part of the Silk Road-Land Route
B – OFF-ROAD: countries part of the Silk Road-Maritime route
C – EAST TO WEST: *SILK ROUTE countries, which co-produced with a European Union (EU) member country
D – STUDENT FILMS: Ireland & International
E – SPECIAL HONORARY AWARD
- Artistic originality which creates cultural diversity award
- Special Jury award
- Best director
- Best actor
- Best actress
- Best cinematographer
- Honorary award
- To hold film screenings ‘offline & online’, premieres, exhibitions, panels, chats with industry guests,
free courses and workshops.
- To bridge cultures and minds through the medium that is film surrounded by ‘postal stop’ events.
- To facilitate international contacts between filmmakers, thus raising international dialogue,
understanding and cultural integration.
- To create a dialogue and multicultural awareness through the medium that is film for children.
- To provide a platform for professional & student filmmakers to showcase their work internationally.
- To provide a platform for filmgoers to view and learn from the countries invited other cinematic influences.
- To promote intercultural cinema and dialogue.
- To encourage co-productions and new film treaties between Silk Road countries and European member countries.
- To become a ‘traveling festival’, the Silk Road Film Festival can be held in any country internationally.
SRFF will facilitate tourism, enterprise, arts, cultural exchanges & social inclusion.